Sinus drainage problems can point to several different sinus problems or root causes. These symptoms include blockages, post-nasal drip, a runny nose and associated secondary symptoms such as headaches and sore eyes.Let’s take a look at the different causes of sinus drainage issues and what a person can do to treat these ailments.
Causes of Chronic Sinus Problems
Sinus drainage and related symptoms can point to several different underlying root causes. These include:
- Illness: Colds and flu are a common cause of increased mucus production. In cases such as this, the best solution is to let the illness run its course. In severe cases, a doctor can prescribe antibiotics to aid in the healing process.
- Allergies: Another cause of sinus drainage issues is common allergies. Allergies can be caused by a reaction to the environment and include triggers such as ragweed and pollen. Food allergies, such as dairy allergies, can also cause sinus issues. Aside from avoiding allergens, anti-allergy prescriptions can also aid in reducing symptoms.
- A Deviated Nasal Septum: the result of injuries or genetics, a deviated nasal septum causes one nasal passage to be smaller than the other. In an ideal situation, both passages should be the same size. A deviated nasal septum can cause drainage issues as well snoring but can be corrected with Septoplasty surgery.
- Narrow Sinus Passages: Due to biological variance, some people simply have narrower sinus passages than others. When a person has narrow sinuses they become far more sensitive to blockages and the related ailments this can cause. Like a deviated nasal septum, surgery can be required to correct this issue.
- An Extra Sinus: Ten percent of the human population has an extra sinus. Sadly, having three sinuses instead of two is not beneficial to breathing health. By having three sinuses areas instead of two, the breathing passage is narrowed, creating many of the same issues you see with narrow sinus passages and deviated nasal septums. Because the root cause is genetic, corrective surgery is required to remove the extra sinus. Such corrective surgery reduces drainage issues and optimizes breathing health.
American Sinus Institute
People suffering from debilitating sinus drainage are invited to contact the American Sinus Institute today. Repeated sinus drainage issues can be a sign that sinus surgery, such as Balloon Sinuplasty, may be required to reduce the severity and rate of sinusitis symptoms.The American Sinus Institute helps their patients with a wide assortment of sinus issues and their experienced staff uses the latest in treatment methodology to ensure patient recovery. As noted by multiple satisfied customers, the quality of treatment at the American Sinus Institute can improve lives.