If your nose is congested and you’re fighting constant sinus drainage, you may be wondering about the benefits of essential oils for sinus infections and other issues. The good news is that there’s a long list of what essential oils are good for, and relieving swelling and opening nasal passages are on the list.
Eight Essential Oils For Nasal Congestion Relief:
- Menthol: The icy effects of menthol have long been used to soothe sore throats and improve breathing. Menthol essential oils also can help clear up your sinus cavities.
- Peppermint: Another strong minty scent similar to menthol, peppermint also is effective at relieving sinus congestion thanks to its strength and ability to overcome nearly any blockage.
- Lemon: Lemon oils are common in antibacterials and anti-inflammatory, and they make a great addition to your medicine cabinet when you are experiencing sinusitis.
- Frankincense: Another powerful addition to the essential oils list, frankincense is especially strong and fragrant. It helps relax the lungs and makes for easier breathing all around.
- Eucalyptus: Eucalyptus is widely used in over-the-counter medicines thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties. Since sinusitis is caused by inflamed tissue in the sinuses, it is a natural choice.
- Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil is known for its antiviral and antimicrobial properties. Those who suffer from sinus congestion due to allergies can benefit from the relief that tea tree oil has to offer.
- Clove: Cloves are widely known for their very strong scent and soothing properties when you have a cold. Clove oil also can be used to effectively combat sinus congestion with its antimicrobial properties.
- Rosemary: Rosemary has been commonly used to alleviate coughing and colds. It even is effective against particularly resistant bacteria that cause chronic congestion.
Once you’ve selected your favorite essential oils, there are several methods for putting them to use. Some oils are effective as aromatherapy agents, as the strong scent carries well and permeates your sinuses. You also may apply them topically around your nose, mouth and throat, as long as you dilute them first with safe oils like coconut or avocado. Lastly, if you purchase pure oils with FDA clearance you can take a few drops by mouth.
American Sinus Institute
The American Sinus Institute can help you get the treatment you need if other sinus treatments are not working. Contact us to learn more about your options and schedule a consultation today!